Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Book Release: A Hallowe'en Story

My cover design for A Hallowe'en Story by M. Pothier






Earlier this summer I worked on a book for Mattapoisett, MA author Margareta Pothier titled A Hallowe’en Story. The book has just been released by Dog Ear Publishing and is available on Amazon.com!

I love a good ghost story any time of year myself, so let me fill you in on it...

The author describes the story as follows:
“Halloween is in a few days and Billy wants to do something very different and special. What he has in mind does not go exactly as planned, but is certainly both different and special. Some would say pretty spooky, too.”


Here's a little more info from yours truly and a sneak peek at the new illustrations:

The story unfolds when Billy hears the disembodied voices of his deceased grandfathers in the local cemetery. Though yet to meet the ghosts in person, Billy convinces them to come out for one night (Halloween of course) to attend the town’s parade and festivities.
 
The grandpas are actually pretty handsome with their fancy outfits and all of their skin intact. They are totally fascinated by the modern world. Imagine what it would be like for these gentlemen from different eras to suddenly be walking around town on Halloween night... let's just say, three generations of grandfather ghosts at a twenty-first century celebration leads to a very memorable Halloween for Billy and the entire town.




This book would be great for all ages as a read-to around the campfire, at a sleep-over or of course for next Halloween! The book has a beginner's reading level around grade 3 or 4 (my opinion, not specified by the author). It is not too scary for little ones and has some pretty funny moments. 

I enjoyed creating the illustrations which were a departure for me from my usual color work. The pen and ink drawings are influenced by one of my favorite illustrators, the great Edward Gorey.  I designed the cover to look like an old photo album. There are 10 very detailed interior illustrations that depict the author’s favorite scenes.

To get your copy of A Hallowe’en Story, click HERE!

No comments:

Post a Comment